It’s true that working with the experts is a good option when it comes to home improvement projects. But if you think you have the time, talent and capability to do certain jobs yourself, then go for it. There’s nothing wrong with DIY installation and repair projects. It lets you save on labour costs and gives you the freedom to do whatever you want to improve your home’s appearance and structural condition.
These tips will help you whenever you decide to install or repair plasterboard or any other part of your home.
Gather everything you need.
Projects such as drywall finishing and plasterboard installation or repair involve the use of high quality materials to ensure the quality of work. You can easily find everything you need at the nearest hardware store or online supplier. Some of the most important materials include:
- Multipurpose joint compound for installing plasterboard sheets on walls and ceilings
- Stud adhesive for fixing plasterboard to steel and wood frames
- Cornice cement for installing paper faced cornice profiles
- Wet area base coat for jointing plasterboard and fibre cement in wet areas
- Rapid patch for repairing cracks, holes and nicks in masonry, plasterboard, wood, or fibre cement
- Repair panel for quick repair and maintenance
Follow the instructions and STICK to the plan.
Every job starts with a plan. Identify the things you should do first and write them down to serve as your guide. Most, if not all, plasterboard installation and repair products have instructions on the packaging or label. Follow everything to minimise mistakes and finish the job faster. Contact the manufacturer or supplier if you have further questions about their products.
Keeping your work area clean and organised will make you more effective. Place your tools and materials in separate containers so you can easily get them. Clean the area to prevent dust and dirt from sticking to the plasterboard, walls or ceilings.
DIY projects allow you to become an independent handyman and improve your skills in different areas of construction. Just be sure to do them right and follow these tips to ensure success.